India’s UPI apps are transforming; people are also now moving from traditional money transactions to a more technology-driven UPI system. No tech person of the new generation wants to stand in line for hours in front of any bank for easy work. As a result, almost every bank is providing the best UPI apps in India for online transactions.
Even the Indian government is advertising several measures and incentives for the full digitalization of the UIP system. For example, the introduction of the BHIM UPI payment system for real-time money transfers, paying bills, recharging, sending money, etc.
After downloading and installing a UPI app on your mobile phone, you can perform all online payment tasks according to your comfort level. Here, we have compiled the top ten best UPI apps in India, along with the essential features a UPI payment app should have.
List of the Top 10 Best UPI Apps in India
Here are the top 10 best UPI apps in India and their key services that are in use in India today.
1. Google Pay
In our list of the top 10 best UPI apps in India, Google Pay is number one. The main reason behind this is that it is very easy and mobile-friendly, with Google protection. The app has an attractive UI/UX with many in-app features.
Key features offered by the Google Pay app
- Multiple layers of security from your bank and Google
- It almost works with all banks in India that support BHIM UPI
- Pay DTH, broadband, electricity, FASTag, and LPG bills
- Get the latest mobile prepaid recharge plans
- Check your bank account balance
- Get rewarded and get a discount offer
- Pay through the QR code scanner
- Book tickets, shop online, and order meals
- Payments with your debit and credit cards
- Buy and sell 24K gold
- Send money directly from your bank account to any bank account
- A loan option is available
Google Play Store: Released on September 17, 2017, Rating: 4.4 stars out of 5 More than 1,000,000,000+ downloads
The PhonePe UPI app is quite popular in India because of its stability. It boasts a 4.3-star rating on the Google Play Store and has more than 50 crores of downloads.
This best UPI app offers users a variety of services and features. In addition to sending and receiving money and viewing bank statements, as usual, the app helps you pay through a credit or debit card. PhonePe is a payments app that allows you to use your wallet to recharge your mobile calling plan, pay all your electricity bills, and shop through online stores. That is why we have included it in the list of the best UPI apps in India.
Key features offered by the PhonePe app
- Manage multiple bank accounts
- Save beneficiaries across multiple bank accounts
- Make an online payment
- Buy or renew insurance policies
- Recharge Mobile, DTH,
- Bill Payment
Google Play Store: Released on October 14, 2016, Rating: 4.3 stars out of 5. More than 500,000,000+ downloads
Paytm completes all the payments, insurance, investment, and daily shopping needs of its users. With this one app, users can bank, shop locally, travel, pay bills, recharge their phones, mutual funds, invest, etc. It also allows users to apply for Paytm cards, make card payments, and view transaction history.
Key features offered by the Paytm app
- Send money to your friends and family using your mobile number
- Scan any QR code and make payments
- Recharge your mobile and pay your utility bills (electricity, gas, water, broadband, etc.) easily
- Find the latest prepaid recharge plans
- Get instant pre-approved personal loans
- Book tickets for trains, buses, and flights
Google Play Store: Released on April 30, 2012, Rating: 4.6 stars out of 5 More than 500,000,000+ downloads
BHIM (Bharat Interface for Money) is a payment application using which one can send payments, pay for shopping with a tap, transfer bank money to bank money, pay bills, etc. Using this payment app by BHIM, you can local shop on your mobile at partner apps, buy tickets, do e-commerce shopping, and book hotels.
Key features offered by the BHIM app
- Direct bank payments to anyone on UPI
- Request money through the app from a UPI ID
- The BHIM payment app is compatible with Android 6.0 and above
Google Play Store: Released on December 29, 2016, Rating: 4.2 stars out of 5 More than 50,000,000+ downloads
The BharatPe application offers an easy, secure, and convenient platform for UPI transactions from anywhere and anytime. The app is equipped with advanced encryption and security to keep your account safe. BharatSwipe supports both debit and credit card payments. Over 7 million merchants rely on BharatPe for their payment solutions.
Key features offered by the BharatPe app
- Accept payments from all major UPI apps
- You can pay through multiple modes, like a bank account, a RuPay credit card, a wallet, etc.
- Business Loans Made Easy
Google Play Store: Released on December 19, 2017 Rating: 4.0 stars out of 5 More than 10,000,000+ downloads
6. Amazon Pay
The best part about Amazon Pay is that it offers rewards, coupons, and discounts on online shopping websites from Amazon and a lot more. You can easily link your debit or credit cards for a suitable experience. The app is regularly updated and offers you creative benefits besides fixing bugs.
Key features offered by the Amazon Pay app
- Send money to friends and family
- Earn rewards
- Safe, secure, and supported by the government of India
- Online shopping, recharges, bill payments, including mobile phones, gas and electricity, flight bookings, and more
Google Play Store: Rating: 4.5 stars out of 5 More than 100,000,000+ downloads
7. Airtel Thanks App
Airtel Thanks App is introduced with the big goal of executing a ‘one-stop shop for SIM, OTTs and Financial services’. Experience double faster speed with Airtel 5G Plus. you can track your data usage balance, missed calls while out of network, and much more. Scan any QR code to send and receive money via your UPI ID and online payment wallet.
Key features offered by the Airtel Thanks app
- Get OTT subscriptions like Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney+ Hotstar, and Xstream
- FASTag recharge
- Mobile and broadband bills
- Airtel UPI allows you to send and receive money from one bank account to another instantly
- Get personal loans with a complete digital process
Google Play Store: Released on July 7, 2016, Rating: 4.2 stars out of 5 More than 100,000,000+ downloads
Freecharge merges several banking procedures being served through one platform. This best UPI app in India allows you to check transaction statements, transfer money, manage debit and credit cards, invest in digital gold, and enjoy several other amazing services just a tap away.
Key features offered by the Freecharge app
- Earn cash back on your transactions
- Find the best-prepaid recharge plans
- Education fee via credit card
- Transfer money to your friends or family
- Buy or sell digital gold online
Google Play Store: Released on April 22, 2013 Rating: 4.3 stars out of 5. More than 50,000,000+ downloads
PayZapp, the UPI app of HDFC Bank, is an extremely user-friendly UPI payment app. It allows customers to make credit card payments, pay utility bills, and transfer funds instantly. Moreover, the app allows customers to make cash withdrawals without using a card at ATMs.
Key features offered by the PayZapp app
- Send money to contacts
- Recharge and bill payments
- Link cards and swipe to pay
- Wallet-to-account transfer
- PayZapp cashpoints and rewards
Google Play Store: Rating: 4.4 stars out of 5 More than 5,000,000+ downloads
The MobiKwik UPI app offers users a variety of services and features. In addition to sending money and viewing bank statements, as usual, the app helps you find the most comfortable way of connecting with your users and accepting payments. Supports all payment methods: Wallet, credit card, or debit card
Key features offered by the MobiKwik app
- Accept payments from anyone and anywhere
- Simplifying your business
- Track payments and payouts received
- Kwik Loans
Google Play Store: Released on Aug 25, 2012, Rating: 4.5 stars out of 5 More than 50,000,000+ downloads
How to Select the Best UPI Payment Application?
Given below are some parameters that should be considered while selecting the best UPI payment application:
Security and two-factored signup: The security of your UPI app has to be the top priority. Before selecting an app, see if the app has a two-factor signup enabled. An app with biometric authentication would be perfect. This is very important because there is no need to compromise on security.
User Interface: Many tech-savvy people use the internet and payment apps daily, but many install them for the first time, so the interface should be easy and not difficult.
AI Chatbot: It is important to have an AI Chatbot because, in an emergency, we have to answer any question.
Multiple payment options: It would be great if there were multiple payment options. While selecting the best UPI apps, make sure that the app provides multiple payment options, such as NEFT, IMPS, Scan and Pay, etc.
Tracking of finances: There has to be a proper tracking system for finances so that the user can configure his or her future finances and investments.
Timely notification alerts: If UPI apps provide timely notifications and alerts to remind and notify the user about his or her important payment details, you can turn this facility on or off as per your convenience.